The Church of St. John, the Evangelist (Roman Catholic), dates its origin from the year 1869. A small church was built for temporary use and the present magnificent house of worship was begun in the Spring of 1870. The parish has over 3,000 members and the property, not including a splendid brick library and gymnasium, is valued at $75,000. Rev. William F. Dwyer, one of the most devoted priests in the diocese, is the pastor and his assistant is Rev. William H. McCormick.